Last Tuesday I felt really sick all day and didn't really want to do anything. So being a lazy day as it was, I didn't do anything except cook dinner.
Wednesday started out normal. I still didn't feel all that well, so I took my girls to school and when we came back I laid down in bed and asked Kenzi if she was going to be ok if I slept a little longer since I didn't feel very good. She asked if I was ok and I told her I felt like puking so my good little girl got me a trash can and put it by the bed. She said, "Just in case Mom." Thanks Kenzi, I've taught you well. So she decided to put on a movie and let me sleep a little longer. I got up probably around 10 or 11, just before lunch. Of course still feeling really sick. I came and sat at the computer and checked emails and facebook and stuff like that. Then I got a call from my sister. She said that grandpa just died. I had no idea what to say. She said he went into the hospital Tuesday and the doctors ran some tests and thought they found pneumonia in his lungs. But also said everything would be fine and he'd recover. Wednesday morning he just died. All of a sudden was gone. After I had gotten off the phone with my sister I called Matt to let him know. He was working at the time with someone so he couldn't really talk but he said he'd talk to me when he got home.

When my grandma died, I was 12 maybe 13 so I didn't quite get the concept of death yet. (At least didn't want to accept it) I didn't cry right away and I didn't really understand yet. I kept thinking about it and just saying to myself, "I won't be able to see her again." It was really hard to accept for me. At her viewing, I went into the building and sat down on the couch. I didn't want to see her. I was too scared that reality would hit me all at once and I wouldn't be able to handle it. Finally my Uncle David sat with me and convinced me to go see her. Just like I was afraid, reality hit me. It hit me HARD! It was weird seeing her how she was. It somehow didn't feel like it was her anymore.
Anyway, back to grandpa. Thursday through Sunday afternoon was just a waiting game. I didn't know where or when the funeral was and we couldn't find my Uncle David or couldn't get a hold of him. So then Saturday night my mom calls and lets me know when the funeral and everything was going to be. Sunday night was the viewing and then Monday was the funeral.
Sunday night when I arrived, I was almost tempted to do the same thing at my grandma's viewing and just sit on the couch. I couldn't do that. Not this time. I walked with my mom inside and there he was. Grandpa was there up front looking so peaceful. He looked so good. But just like my grandma, you could tell it was just his body there. An empty shell. But I knew, from the moment I saw him laying there, I knew he was home with my grandma. After 12 long, painful years he was were he needed and wanted to be.
Monday was just as hard. Some of the most amazing people in my grandpa's life spoke and said nothing but great things about him. There really was nothing bad to say about my grandpa. He was such an amazing person. After that we went to the grave site and buried him right next to grandma. We stayed until they had lowered him into the ground.
The day I heard he had died I was sad but also happy since I knew he was with grandma. He wasn't in any pain anymore and he is happy. He will always watch over me just like I know my grandma has been. I know I can be happy now since both of them are together again. But I will miss them both so much.

I love you Grandma and Grandpa!
It's an old picture but I don't have an recent pictures of them. So this one will have to do until I get some from my mom.
2 comments:
I am so sorry! it seems like this is a trend right now and I hate it! My grandpa passed the first of August VERY unexpectedly! It's hard! I am sorry you are going through it too!
Krystal, what a nice tribute to your grandpa, your grandparents were so cute together and now they are together again, so great to be able to take comfort in that.
Post a Comment